Position: “EMERITUS PROFESSOR OF SPORTS MEDICINE”
University: ARISTOTLE UNIVERSITY OF THESSALONIKI
Department: PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SPORTS SCIENCE
Laboratory: SPORTS MEDICINE
Other Position: Scientific director (2000- today) of the “Cardiodiagnosis” private medical center.
Office: SPORTS MEDICINE LAB, AUTh
Tel: +30 2310 992181
Fax: +30 2310 992188
e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Degree: MD MEDICINE, Medical School, AUTh, Greece 1976
- Internal Medicine 1977-81
- Cardiology 1981-82
Ph.D. Thesis: “Effects of Growth Hormone on muscle atrophy” Medical School, AUTh, Greece 1980 Teaching”
Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses:
- Sports Medicine
- Sports Cardiology
Asterios Deligiannis is a Cardiologist (1982) and Professor of Sports Medicine in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1992-today). Prof A. Deligiannis has long-term experience with cardiological investigations and modern non invasive cardiac methods in the area of Sports Cardiology, which are performed at the Laboratory of Sports Medicine. He established (1993) the biggest Sports Cardiology center in Greece for the medical screening of athletes and applied effective pre-participation screeningprotocols for athletes, including the use of telemedicine methods. Duringthis period (1993-today) more than 30,000 athletes were examined for their cardiovascular preparticipation screening. His research has focused on the cardiovascular responses and adaptations of exercise training in athletes and patients with chronic diseases. He has also established in Greece exercise rehabilitation programs for renal patients during their hemodialysis sessions, as well as for cardiac patients in public gyms. He has special research experience on the effects of exercise training on cardiac morphology and function and on skeletal muscle atrophy in experimental projects. He is the primary investigator of many projects in exercise rehabilitation in patients with cardiac and other chronic diseases. He has also participated in four EU-projects about the biomedical side effects of doping and information campaign and fight against doping in sports. He is the co-author of the website created about health side effects of doping (http://www.doping-prevention.com/). He was Chairman-elect of the Department of Physical Education and Sports Science, member of the Senate, the Research Committee and the Ethic Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki for six years. He was the Chairman of annual teleconference educational seminars in sports Medicine between Greece and Cyprus for the last 4 years. He was Chairman of the Organizing Committee of 14 International Congresses on Sports Medicine and 5 International Symposiums on Exercise and Quality of life in Chronic Diseases. He has more than 250 publications in scientific journals. He has present more than 300 lecturers in International Congresses and he was chairman (or co-chairman) in more than 60 scientific round tables. He was a member of the advisory board of 5 international and 4 Greek scientific journals. Prof. A. Deligiannis has successfully supervised to completion 42 research masters or PhD students, 32 of them as Principal Supervisor.
(i) main fields: a. Pre-participation health screening for prevention of sudden cardiac death in sports, b. Cardiovascular adaptations of exercise training in athletes and patients with chronic diseases. (ii) other fields: a. Effects of exercise training on autonomic function, b. Morphological and functional status of atrophied skeletal muscles in experimental projects, c. Health disorders of doping in Sports, d. Exercise rehabilitation prescription in patients with chronic diseases, e. Cardiovascular side-effects of Doping
Relative R&D Competitive Projects
- 20.6.2008- 19.6.2014 (Municipality of Thessaloniki): Exercise and quality of life for patients with chronic diseases
- 17.9.11- 17.9.13 (National Strategic Reference Framework 2007-2013 program for development). An intelligent telematic system for the evaluation of biological parameters in athletes –athletes’ e-health
- 17.5.2009-17.5.2010 (Municipality of Thessaloniki): Centres of Re-establishment of Protection of Elderly People” (KAPI) at the Municipality of Thessaloniki
- 17.5.2009-17.5.2010 (Municipality of Thessaloniki): Web Social Charter of the Municipality of Thessaloniki
Books and chapters in books:
Editor and main author in three Sports Medicine books and Greek editor in two Sports Cardiology books.
Citations (in Scopus): 3008 (h-index 20)
- Kouidi, E, Iacovides, A, Iordanidis, P, Vassiliou, S, Deligiannis, A, Ierodiakonou, C, Tourkantonis, A (1997). Exercise renal rehabilitation program (ERRP): Psychosocial effects. Nephron; 77,2, 152-158
- Kouidi, E, Albani, M, Natsis, K, Megalopoulos, A, Gigis, P, Guiba-Tziampiri, O, Deligiannis, A, Tourkantonis, A (1998). The effects of exercise training on muscle atrophy in hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transpl; 13, 685-699.
- Mougios, V, Kouidi, E, Kiparos A, Deligiannis, A (1998). Effect of exercise on the proportion of unsaturated fatty acids in serum of untrained middle-aged individuals. Br J Sports Med; 32, 58-62.
- Kouidi, Ε., Fahadidou - Τsiligiroglou, Α., Tassoulas E., Deligiannis, A., Coats, Α. (1999). White coat hypertension detected during screening of male adolescent athletes. Am J Hypertension, 12, 223-226.
- Deligiannis, A, Kouidi, E, Tourkantonis, A. (1999). The effects of physical training on heart rate variability in hemodialysis patients. Am J Cardiol, 84: 197-202.
- Deligiannis, A., Kouidi, E., Tassoulas E., Gigis, P., Tourkantonis, A, Coats, A. (1999). Cardiac response to physical training in hemodialysis patients: An echocardiographic study at rest and during exercise. Int J Cardiol, 70, 253-266.
- Kyparos, A., Matziari, C., Albani, M., Arsos, G., Sotiriadou S., Deligiannis, A. (2001). A decrease in soleus muscle force generation in rats after downhill running. Can J Appl Physiol, 26, 323-335
- Siountas, A., Koutlianos, N.,Kouidi, E., Molivda, E., Deligiannis, A., Tourkantonis, A. (2001). Physical activity and bone mineral density in hemodialysis patients. Hungarian Rev Sports Med, 163-170.
- Konstantinidou, E., Koukouvou, G., Kouidi, E., Deligiannis, A., Tourkantonis, A. (2001). Exercise renal rehabilitation: comparison of three exercise programs. J Rehabil Med, 34, 40-45.
- Deligiannis, A. Cardiac effects of anabolics. In: Biomedical Side effects of Doping. (Peters, C., Schulz, T., Michna, H. eds). SPORT and BUCH Straub, Cologne, 2001, 81-89.
- Kouidi, E., Haritonidis, K., Koutlianos, N., Deligiannis, A. (2002). Effects of athletic training on heart rate variability. Clin Physiol Funct Imag, 22, 279-84
- Deligiannis, A., Kouidi, E. Health risks of social drugs in athletes. In: Health and Doping Risks of Nutritional Supplements and Social Drugs. German Sport University Cologne, 2002, 23-27.
- Koutlianos, A., Koutlianos, N., Kouidi, E., Metaxas, Th., Deligiannis, A. (2003). Aerobic capacity in athletes with mild mitral valve prolapse and transient arrhythmias. Hungarian Review of Sports Medicine, 85-93.
- Sendelides, Th., Metaxas, Th., Kouidi, E., Koutlianos, N., Deligiannis, A. (2003).Heart rate variability changes in soccer players. Austrian J Sports Med, 2: 10-13.
- Haritonidis, K., Koutlianos, N., Kouidi, E.,Haritonidou, M., Deligiannis, A. (2004). Seasonal variation of aerobic capacity in elite soccer, basketball and volleyball players. J Hum Movement Stud, 46: 289-302.
- Koukouvou, G., Kouidi, E., Iacovides, A., Konstantinidou, E., Kaprinis, G. Deligiannis, A. (2004). Quality of life, psychological and physiological changes following exercise training in patients with chronic heart failure. J Rehabil Med., 36(1):36-41.
- Kouidi, E., Grekas, D., Deligiannis, A., Tourkantonis, A. (2004). Outcomes of long-term exercise training in dialysis patients: comparison of two training programs.Clin Nephrol., 61 Suppl 1:S31-8.
- Deligiannis, A. (2004). Exercise rehabilitation and skeletal muscle benefits in hemodialysis patients. Clin Nephrol., 61 Suppl 1:S46-50.
- Deligiannis, A. (2004). Cardiac adaptations following exercise training in hemodialysis patients. Clin Nephrol., 61 Suppl 1:S39-45
- Metaxas, T., Koutlianos, N., Sentelides, T., Kouidi, E., Deligiannis, A. (2004). Physiological profile of amateur top level soccer players according to positional role. J Hum Movement Stud, 46: 347-358.
- Koutlianos, N., Kouidi, E., Metaxas, T., Deligiannis, A. (2004). Non-invasive cardiac electrophysiological indices in soccer players with mitral valve prolapse. Eur J Cardiovasc Prevent Rehabil, 11: 435-441
- Koutlianos, N., Kouidi, E., Deligiannis A. (2004). Heart rate variability in soccer players with mitral valve prolapse or benign arrhythmia. J Sport Sci Health; 1:5-10
- Haritonides, K., Kouidi, E., Koutlianos, N., Haritonidou, M., Deligiannis, A. (2004). Cardiac adaptations in elite volleyball players. Austrian J Sports Medicine; 1: 23-29.
- Mameletzi, D., Deligiannis, A. (2004). Preparticipation health screening in swimmers. Osterreichisches J Sportmedizin, 4: 6-10.
- Mameletzi, D., Deligiannis, A. (2004). Physiological responses and health disorders in marathon swimmers. Osterreichisches J Sportmedizin, 4: 11-16.
- Corrado, D., Pelliccia, A., Bjornstad, H., Vanhees, L., Biffi, A., Borjesson, M., Panhuyzen-Goedkoop, NM., Deligiannis, A., Solberg, E., Dugmore, D., et al. (2005). Cardiovascular pre-participation screening of young competitive athletes for prevention of sudden death: proposal for a common European protocol. Consensus Statement of the Study Group of Sport Cardiology of the Working Group of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Physiology and the Working Group of Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J; 26(5):516-24.
- Metaxas Th, Koutlianos, N., Kouidi, E., Deligiannis, A. (2005). Comparative study of field and laboratory tests for the evaluation of aerobic capacity in soccer players. J Strength Cond Res;19(1):79-84.
- Pelliccia, A., Fagard, RH., Bjornstad, H., Deligiannis, A. et al (2005) Recommendations for competitive sports participation in athletes with cardiovascular disease: a consensus document from the Study Group of Sports Cardiology of the Working Group of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Physiology and the Working Group of Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J.;26(14):1422-45
- Fagard, RH.,Bjornstad, H., Borjesson, M., Carre, F., Deligiannis, A., Vanhees, L. (2005). ESC Study Group of Sports Cardiology recommendations for participation in leisure-time physical activities and competitive sports for patients with hypertension. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil.;12(4):326-31
- Alexiou, S., Kouidi, E., Fahadidou-Tsiligiroglou, A., Karamouzis, M., Deligiannis, A. (2005). Cardiac function after exhaustive open-sea swimming. J Sports Med Phys Fitness.;45(1):98-104.
- Alexiou, S., Haritonidis, K., Deligiannis, A. (2005). Cardiovascular responses to swimming. Angiology.; 56(6):715-21.
- Tsintsifa, E.,Fahadidis, P.,Fahadidou -Tsiligiroglou, A., Deligiannis, A (2006). Interactions among habitual physical activity, eating patterns, and diet composition. Angiology;57(2):205-9.
- Deligiannis, A., Bjornstad, H., Carre, F., Heidbuchel, H., Kouidi, E., Panhuyzen-Goedkoop, NM., Pigozzi, F., Schanzer, W., Vanhees, L.; on behalf of the ESC Study Group of Sports Cardiology (2006). ESC Study Group of Sports Cardiology Position Paper on adverse cardiovascular effects of doping in athletes. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil, 13(5):687-694.
- Kouidi, E., Farmakiotis, Α., Kouidis, Ν., Deligiannis, A. (2006). Transtelephonic electrocardiographic monitoring of an outpatient cardiac rehabilitation programme. Clin Rehabil.; 20(12):1100-4.
- Deligiannis, A., Kouidi, E. (2007). Health side effects of doping substancescardiovascular system. Mannual of International Symposium”Biomedical side effects of Doping”; Munich, 21st October, pp 45-54.
- Sarikaya, H., Ohanian, J. Deligiannis, A., Georgieva, K., Giraldo, E., Grucza, R., Hinchado, D., Koutlianos, N., Kwiatkowska, D., Ortega, E., Peters, C. (2007). Prevention Strategies of doping: Overview about the actual status quo in Europe. Congress Manual: Biomedical side effects of doping; International Symposium, Munich, Germany, pp. 250-261.
- Pagkalos, M., Koutlianos, N., Kouidi, E., Pagkalos, E., Mandroukas, K., Deligiannis, A. (2008). Heart rate variability modifications following exercise training in type 2 diabetic patients with definite cardiac autonomic neuropathy. Br J Sports Med.; 42:47-54.
- Samaras, T., Karavasiliadou, S., Kouidi, E., Sahalos, JN., Deligiannis, A. (2008). Transtelephonic electrocardiographic transmission in the preparticipation screening of athletes. Int J Telemed Appl:217909
- Petraki, M., Kouidi, E., Grekas, D., Deligiannis, A. (2008). Effects of exercise training during hemodialysis on cardiac baroreflex sensitivity. Clin Nephrol; 70: 210-219.
- Ouzouni, S., Kouidi, E., Sioulis, A., Grekas, D., Deligiannis, A. (2009). Effects of intradialytic exercise training on health-related quality of life indices in haemodialysis patients. Clin Rehabil; 23:53-63.
- Karamouzis, I., Grekas, D., Karamouzis, M., Kallaras, K., Stergiou-Michailidou, V., Kouidi E., Deligiannis, A., Vavatsi-Christaki, N. (2009). Physical training in patients on hemodialysis has a beneficial effect on the levels of eicosanoid hormone-like substances. Hormones; 8:129-37.
- Kouidi, EJ., Grekas, DM., Deligiannis, AP. (2009). Effects of exercise training on noninvasive cardiac measures in patients undergoing long-term hemodialysis: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Kidney Dis; 54: 511-21.
- Mavrovouniotis, F., Koutsis, G., Koutlianos, N., Deligiannis, A. (2009). The role of media in central obesity of elementary school children in Greece. J Strength and Conditioning Res; 23(6): 1704-1713
- Giagkoudaki, F., Dimitros E., Kouidi, E., Deligiannis, A. (2010). Effects of exercise training on heart rate variability indices in individuals with Down Syndrome. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation; 19(2):173-83.
- Corrado, D., Pelliccia, A., Heidbuchel, H., Sharma, S., Biffi, A., Delise, P., Basso, C., Anastassakis, A., Borjesson, M., Bjornstad, H., Carre, F., Deligiannis, A., Dugmore, D., Solberg, E., Mellwig, K., Panhuyzen-Goedkoop, N., Vanhees, L., Buja, G., McKenna, W. (2010). Recommendations for interpretation of 12-lead electrocardiogram in athlete. Eur Heart J; 31(2):243-59
- Kouidi, E, Karagiannis, V., Grekas, D., Iakovides, A., Kaprinis, G., Tourkantonis, A., Deligiannis, AP. (2010). Depression, heart rate variability and exercise training in dialysis patients. European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation;17(2):160-7.
- Deligiannis A, Anastasakis A, Antoniades L, Bobotis G, Geleris P, Goudevenos J, Hahalis G, Kouidi E, Kranidis A, Kremastinos D, Lekakis J, Parcharidis G, Pyrgakis V, Rontogiannis G, Stefanadis C, Styliadis I, Vardas P. (2010). Recommendations for the cardiovascular screening of athletes. Hellenic J Cardiol; 51(6):530-7.
- Mameletzi D, Kouidi E, Koutlianos N, Deligiannis A. (2011). Effects of long-term exercise training on cardiac baroreflex sensitivity in patients with coronary artery disease: a randomized controlled trial. Clin Rehabil;25(3):217-27.
- Christoforidi V, Koutlianos N, Deligiannis P, Kouidi E, Deligiannis A.(2012). Heart rate variability in free diving athletes. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging; 32(2):162-6.
- Fountoulakis KN, Lekka E, Kouidi E, Chouvarda I, Deligiannis A, Maglaveras N.(2012). Development of Global Disability Scale (GloDiS): preliminary results. Ann Gen Psychiatry; 11(1):14.
- Samara AP, Kouidi E, Ouzouni S, Vasileiou S, Sioulis A, Deligiannis A. (2012). Relationship between exercise test recovery indices and psychological and quality-of-life status in hemodialysis patients: a pilot study. J Nephrol; 26(3):495-501
- Deligiannis, A., Kouidi E. (2012). Cardiovascular Side-Effects of Doping in Sports. HJC, 53:447-457
- Dimitros, E., Koutlianos, N., Kouidi, E., Anifanti, M., Pagourelias, E., Deligiannis, A. (2012). Comparative study of ECG and echocardiographic parameters indicative of cardiac hypertrophy in athletes. Sport Sci Health, 8: 101-7
- Kouidi, E., Vergoulas, G., Anifanti, M., Deligiannis, A. (2012). A randomized controlled trial of exercise training on cardiovascular and autonomic function among renal transplant recipients. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 28(5):1294-305
- Pagourelias, E, Efthimiadis, G, Kouidi, E, Zorou, P, Giannoglou, G, Deligiannis, A, Athyros, V, Karagiannis, A, Geleris, P. (2013). Efficacy of Various “Classic” Echocardiographic and Laboratory Indices in Distinguishing the “Gray Zone” between Athlete’s Heart and Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: A Pilot Study. Echocardiography; 30(2):131-9. 56.Pagourelias ED, Kouidi E, Efthimiadis GK, Deligiannis A, Geleris P, Vassilikos V. Right atrial and ventricular adaptations to training in male Caucasian athletes: an echocardiographic study.J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2013;26(11):1344-52.
- Sotiriou, P., Kouidi, E., Samaras, Th, Deligiannis, A. (2013). Linear and non- linear analysis of heart rate variability in master athletes and healthy middle-aged non-athletes. Medical Engineering Physics, 35(11):1676-81
- Kaltsatou AC, Kouidi EI, Anifanti MA, Douka SI, Deligiannis AP. Functional and psychosocial effects of either a traditional dancing or a formal exercising training program in patients with chronic heart failure: a comparative randomized controlled study.Clin Rehabil 2014;28(2):128-38.
- Assanelli D, Ermolao A, Carre F, Deligiannis A, Mellwig K, Mellwig K, Tahmi M, Cesana BM, Levaggi R, Aliverti P, Sharma S. Standardised pre-competitive screening of athletes in some European and African countries: the SMILE study. Intern Emerg Med. 2014 Jun;9(4):427-34.
- Deligiannis AP, Kouidi EJ, Koutlianos NA, Karagiannis V, Anifanti MA, Tsorbatzoglou K, Farmakis D, Avgerinos C, Mameletzi DN, Samara AP. Eighteen years’ experience applying old and current strategies in the pre-participation cardiovascular screening of athletes. Hellenic J Cardiol 2014; 55(1):32-41. 61.Assanelli D, Levaggi R, Carré F, Sharma S, Deligiannis A, Mellwig KP, Tahmi M, Vinetti G, Aliverti P. Cost-effectiveness of pre-participation screening of athletes with ECG in Europe and Algeria. Intern Emerg Med 2015; 10(2):143-50. 62.Kaltsatou A, Kouidi E, Fountoulakis K, Sipka C, Theochari V, Kandylis D, Deligiannis A. Effects of exercise training with traditional dancing on functional capacity and quality of life in patients with schizophrenia: a randomized controlled study. Clin Rehabil 2015;29(9):882-91.
- Christou GA, Kouidi EJ, Anifanti MA, Sotiriou PG, Deligiannis AP. A novel strategy for evaluating tilt test in athletes with syncope. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2016; 23(9):1003-10
- Christou GA, Kouidi EJ, Anifanti MA, Sotiriou PG, Deligiannis AP. Pathophysiological mechanisms of noncardiac syncope in athletes. Int J Cardiol 2016; 224:20-26
- Clyne N, Hellberg M, Kouidi E, Deligiannis A, Höglund P. Relationship between declining GFR and measures of cardiac and vascular autonomic neuropathy. Nephrology 2016; 21(12):1047-1055.
- Vordos Z, Kouidi E, Mavrovouniotis F, Metaxas T, Dimitros E, Kaltsatou A, Deligiannis A. Impact of traditional Greek dancing on jumping ability, muscular strength and lower limb endurance in cardiac rehabilitation programmes.Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017;16(2):150-156
- Papadopoulou SK, Hassapidou MN, Katsiki N, Fachantidis P, Fachantidou AI, Daskalou E, Deligiannis AP. Relationships Between Alcohol Consumption, Smoking Status and Food Habits in Greek Adolescents. Vascular Implications for the Future. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2017;15(2):167-173.
- Christou GA, Kouidi EJ, Deligiannis AP, Kiortsis DN. Diagnosis and Treatment of Dyslipidaemias in Athletes. Curr Vasc Pharmacol. 2017;15(3):238-247
Membership of Professional Societies
- Past President of the Hellenic College of Sports Medicine
- Treasurer and Past President of the European Association of Rehabilitation in Chronic Kidney Disease (EURORECKD)
- Past President of Sports Medicine Association of Greece
- Past Treasurer of Medical Association of Thessaloniki
- Past nucleus member of EACPR - Sports Cardiology Section
- Member of International Federation of Sports Medicine (FIMS)
- Member of Hellenic Society of Cardiology
- Member of American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Honorary Member of Cyprus Sports Medicine Association
Reviewer in journals:
American Journal of Cardiology American Journal of Kidney Disease Clinical rehabilitation European Journal of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation European Journal of Preventive Cardiology Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine Nephrol Dialysis Transplantation
He has been awarded seven times by the European Renal Association for his researches and three times by FIMS and other medical Associations.
- Member of the Administrative Board and Vice Rector for Social Affairs of Municipality of Thessaloniki (2006-2010).
- Vice-President of National Anti-doping Committee (2006-09).